Joseph Martos
Personal experiences related to concepts in this chapter
by Dr. Joe Martos - Tuesday, 24 November 2009, 1:11 AM

Reflections by Arokia Vincent (posted with her permission):

Baptism in India is a sacrament, an announcement of the birth of a child, the first time that the child is called by name, a community celebration, the time to send the mother back to her husband’s home from her mother’s home where she had the baby – it is very rich in its symbolism. And it is not just a religious ritual, but a secular ritual as well, with an infusion of the religious into the mundane. This might be true of other cultures around the world as well, but I can only speak for what I know. Eliade is right about multivalence: baptism means many things, both culturally and religiously.

Most people would say that any church is sacred space, but to me, there are few churches that have made me feel close to God. After having visited and been part of many parishes in my many moves around the USA, I realized on a recent visit to my old parish church that I had not felt that numinous reality in any of the other churches I had been to, but the feeling of awe and reverence came back to me with such intensity that it was hard to deny it. I was attending the same liturgical ritual as in any other Catholic church, but at the same time, this was somehow different. It must have been that this particular space was more sacred to me, this space where I had been most deeply touched in many ways.