Joseph Martos
Personal experiences related to concepts in this chapter
by Dr. Joe Martos - Tuesday, 24 November 2009, 1:18 AM

Reflections by Tammy Clark (posted with her permission):

While I was going through my divorce, I made an appointment with my parish priest to discuss the annulment process, as well as to participate in the sacrament of reconciliation for the first time in many years.  He was a wonderful priest who told me that if, after making an important decision, you feel peace deep within yourself, then you had likely made the right decision.  While I knew the decision to divorce was the right choice, which in and of itself brought me peace, I struggled with the feeling that I had failed God in my marriage vows; that I had disappointed Him.  After the annulment discussion with Father Trevor, we went into the sacramental ritual.  My penance was to spend 15 minutes in the Perpetual Adoration chapel and to say the Our Father three times.  I was to really spend time on the phrase, “as we forgive those who trespass against us,” and to think of Chris, my ex-husband, while I was meditating on these words, as well as myself.  He even remembered to tell me that it was OK if I had to start the prayer over a couple of times.  During my time in the chapel, I experienced a hierophany—overcome by the grace of God from my head down to my toes!  I felt God's love and healing and knew without a doubt that He wasn't disappointed in me and that He still loved me.  I had never felt God's presence near me or within me as strongly as I did that day.  It was very much a sacred time and space for me that day as I felt God's healing love wash over me.  This was a turning point in my life, a rite of passage, as that was the first day of my new journey in faith to a stronger and more personal relationship with God.  Over five years ago, I walked out of that chapel on a cold, cloudy February afternoon to find that it had started snowing.  As I walked to my car, I felt like dancing.  I felt warmth and sunshine despite the cold, the clouds, and the snow.